Morgan Memorial Building, Wadsworth Atheneum (1910)

July 1st, 2007 Posted in Hartford, Museums, Neoclassical

morgan-memorial.JPG

Around 1900, J. Pierpont Morgan, a native of Hartford, was encouraged by his cousin, Rev. Francis Goodwin, to acquire land adjacent to the Wadsworth Atheneum for the museum to use in a future expansion. Goodwin was then the president of the Atheneum. In 1910, Morgan presented the Morgan Memorial Wing in honor of his father. It was designed by the firm of LaFarge and Morris.

Post a Comment