The Reverend Stephen Jewett House, on Wooster Place in New Haven, was originally built in 1833 for the merchant Theron Towner, who then sold it to Rev. Jewett, an Episcopal minister. The house was designed and constructed by the builder James English, who later became a successful manufacturer and politician. After the Civil War, when the Second Empire style became fashionable, the house was updated with a Mansard roof and a new porch.
Houses, New Haven, Second Empire