The Charles H. Farnam House (1884)

December 27th, 2010 Posted in Houses, New Haven, Renaissance Revival

The house of Yale Professor Benjamin Silliman, a chemist and geologist, was built in 1807 and once stood at 28 Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven. In 1871, part of the house was moved to 87 Trumbull Street and other parts were distributed to other locations around the city. In 1884, Charles Henry Farnam, a lawyer, had his house, designed by J. Cleaveland Cady, built on the same site on Hillhouse Avenue. An addition to the house, designed by architect Leoni Robinson, was constructed in 1898. Since 1920, the house has been owned by Yale University and is currently used by the Department of Economics.

Post a Comment