Theodore Alfred Hungerford, the son of a local merchant, was born in Harwinton in 1838. He later became successful in the New York publishing business. In 1903, Hungerford’s nephew, Newman Hungerford, convinced him to endow a library as his memorial in his home town. The T. A. Hungerford Memorial Library, including a tomb for Mr. Hungerford in the basement, was completed in 1909. Although it no longer serves as the town’s public library, it continues to serve as a museum of the town’s history, with a collection of artifacts begun by Newman Hungerford.
Greek Revival, Harwinton, Libraries
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.