As described by David N. Camp in his History of New Britain, with sketches of Farmington and Berlin, Connecticut (1889):
The people from Unionville, or Union District, Farmington, as it was termed, were, for many years, accustomed to attend church services at Farmington, or at West Avon. After the canal was opened the trip to the mother church at Farmington, for a portion of the year, was made by boat. Religious meetings had been held in Unionville for some time, but the church was not organized until March 30,1841 [...] The first house of worship was erected on the park, and in 1852 was removed and enlarged. But the congregation becoming too large for this building, a handsome stone edifice was erected, which, with the organ, cost $44,000, and was dedicated May 27, 1886.
In the 1950s, a modern addition was built onto the front of the First Church of Christ Congregational.