The Anderson House (1702)

November 2nd, 2010 Posted in Colonial, Enfield, Houses

The Anderson House, at 1380 Enfield Street in Enfield, was built in 1702 by original settlers of the town. Later in the eighteenth century, the house was owned by Ephraim Pease, grandson of Deacon Robert Pease, one of the two founders of Enfield, who came from Salem, Massachusetts. Ephraim Pease was a merchant, slave owner and representative in the General Assembly. It’s possible that George Washington once slept in the house, which also held Hessian prisoners during the Revolutionary War. The house was later in a dilapidated condition but was eventually restored.

Post a Comment