An extravagant Italian villa-style house was constructed in 1862 for John S. Graves, secretary and treasurer of the New Haven Gas Company, on Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven. In 1877, it became the home of James M.B. Dwight. The house, which is now owned by Yale, represents a late evolution of the Italianate style in New Haven and was restored in 1994.
Houses, Italianate, New Haven