First Church, Farmington (1771)

June 14th, 2007 Posted in Churches, Colonial, Farmington

first-church-farmington.JPG

Built in 1771 in Farmington as the third Meeting House of a congregation which originated in 1652. The First Church of Christ, Congregational was built by Capt. Judah Woodruff and features a steeple which has been described as perhaps the most beautiful in New England. The building‘s Greek Revival porch was added in the nineteenth century. This church shows the evolution from a square colonial Meeting House to a Georgian church with a tower at one end. In the nineteenth century, the freed Amistad survivors were supported by members of the congregation and attended services here when they came to Farmington in 1841, awaiting the funds to return to Africa.

  1. 2 Trackback(s)

  2. May 20, 2008: Historic Buildings of Connecticut » Blog Archive » The Timothy Root House (1784)
  3. Jul 1, 2008: Historic Buildings of Connecticut » Blog Archive » The Judah Woodruff House (1760)

Post a Comment