The New Haven Free Public Library goes back to its original opening in 1887 in leased space in a building on Chapel Street. Having outgrown this location by the first few years of the twentieth century, a permanent building was constructed at the corner of Elm and Temple Streets. Built between 1908 and 1911, the building was designed by the prominent architect Cass Gilbert of New York, who had won the design competition. He created a Colonial Revival structure, set back from the street, that would harmonize with the early nineteenth century architecture nearby, including that of United Church on the Green.
Colonial Revival, Libraries, New Haven