The Newton E. Marble House (1874)

June 26th, 2010 Posted in Houses, Newtown, Stick Style

In 1874, Trinity Church in Newtown built the house at 12 Main Street for its rector, Dr. Newton E. Marble. The Stick and Eastlake-style house, known as “Seven Gables,” was designed by the Bridgeport firm of Palliser and Palliser. The brothers featured the house in their 1878 collection of model homes, writing the following:

This house commands a particularly fine view from both sides and the front, and is situated in one of the pleasantest country towns in New England, the hotels of this town being crowded during the summer months with people from the cities. The exterior design is plain, yet picturesque, and at once gives one an idea of ease and comfort. The roofing over the Hall and Sitting-room is a particularly fine feature […] The corner fire-place between Parlor and Dining-room is a feature we indulge in to a great extent in these days of economy, sliding doors and fire-places, although we sometimes have clients who object to this, thinking it would not look as well as when placed in center of side wall; but when they are asked how this and that can be provided for with the best and most economical results, they readily give in. […] The exterior is painted as follows: Ground, light slate; trimmings, buff, and chamfers, black. Cost, $2,925. The sight of this house in the locality in which it is built is very refreshing, and is greatly in advance of the old styles of rural box architecture to be found there.

The house has recently been for sale.

  1. 2 Responses to “The Newton E. Marble House (1874)”

  2. By Mimi Findlay on Jan 31, 2012

    This rectory resembles the one built in New Canaan by St. Mark’s Church in 1881, now owned by the Red Cross, on upper Main Street.

  3. By Sarah on Feb 13, 2018

    A beautiful building and a fine example of our heritage. You’re right, it is very similar to the one in New Canaan.

    Sarah

Post a Comment