Dominating the ridge of Hillside Avenue, overlooking Waterbury, is the enormous mansion known as the Benedict-Miller House. A Queen Anne/Stick style extravaganza of gables, crisscross and diagonal boards and decorative railings, balustrades, braces and brackets, the house was built by the firm of Palliser, Palliser & Co. of Bridgeport for Charles Benedict. The brothers, George and Charles Palliser, specialized in Gothic and Queen Anne cottages and designed houses for P.T. Barnum. Benedict was president of the Benedict & Burnham Company, once the largest manufacturers of brass and copper appliances and fixtures in the country, and served as mayor of Waterbury in 1859-1860. Next to Benedict’s house, and once sharing with it a private drive, is another grand Stick-style mansion built for Benedict’s sister, Mary Mitchell. After Benedict’s death, in 1881, his house was owned by Charles Miller, of the Miller & Peck department store. The Benedict-Miller property was part of UCONN’s Waterbury branch campus from 1942 until 2004, when it was sold to Yeshiva Gedolah, a school for Orthodox Jews.
Houses, Stick Style, Waterbury