Former Canton Baptist Church (1807)

February 28th, 2010 Posted in Canton, Churches, Greek Revival

In 1783, thirty members of the Presbyterian Church in West Simsbury (now Canton) separated to form a new church. Known as “separatists” or Strict Congregationalists, the new congregation split again just three years later, with about half of the members becoming Baptists. A Baptist church building was constructed in 1807 in Canton Village, on what is now Canton Green. In 1838, the church was moved to its present site, not far away on the Albany Turnpike, and remodeled in the Greek Revival style. The church had a bell founded in 1839 by George H. Holbrook of East Medway, Massachusetts. Later, in the twentieth century, the Canton Community Baptist Church moved to a new building on Dowd Avenue. The old church building is now used as offices.

  1. 2 Responses to “Former Canton Baptist Church (1807)”

  2. By queerbop on Mar 18, 2010

    how much do u want for it?

  3. By Amie on Apr 2, 2017

    Please note — the old church is no longer being used is offices, and has not been used as offices in a decade. It is currently a specialty shop. Thanks 🙂

Post a Comment