Durham Academy (1844)

February 26th, 2010 Posted in Durham, Greek Revival, Schools

Durham Academy was established in 1843 as a private school during a period of time when public schooling was very inadequate. The Greek Revival-influenced Academy building was constructed in 1843-1844 and attracted students from a wide area. After the establishment of Middletown High School as a public alternative, the Durham Academy declined and eventually closed in 1884. The building was purchased by the town of Durham in 1891 and became the Coginchaug School, a consolidated school which also offered two years of high school-level instruction. This was dropped in 1898 for financial reasons, but the building later did serve as a high school, from 1916 to 1923. It next became a Lodge of the Knights of Pythias until 1973. It also served as a post office from 1935 to 1958.

  1. One Response to “Durham Academy (1844)”

  2. By Susan Louise Darnell on Oct 7, 2017

    Is this building open today….these days or it is closed and simply an historical site? sld

Post a Comment