Joseph Webb House (1752)

April 30th, 2007 Posted in Colonial, Houses, Wethersfield

webbhouse.JPG

Built on Main Street in Wethersfield in 1752 for the wealthy merchant, Joseph Webb. This gambrel roofed house is typical of the Georgian mansions built for the wealthy in the mid-eighteenth century. During the Revolutionary War, in May 1781, George Washington made this house his headquarters for several days when he met here with the Comte de Rochambeau. The two generals planned the beginning of the campaign that would end five months later with the victory at Yorktown. Originally opened to the public by Wallace Nutting in 1916, it is currently administered by the National Society of the Colonial Dames as part of the Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum.

  1. 1 Trackback(s)

  2. Jun 3, 2008: Historic Buildings of Connecticut » Blog Archive » The Seth Wetmore House (1746)

Post a Comment