Temple Beth Israel, West Hartford (1936)

February 17th, 2008 Posted in Byzantine Revival, Synagogues, West Hartford

congregationbethisrael.JPG

Congregation Beth Israel, Connecticut’s oldest Jewish congregation, was established in 1843. It is now one of the largest Reform congregations in the northeast. The first synagogue was built in Hartford in 1876 and is today the Charter Oak Cultural Center. In 1936, the congregation moved to a new building, on Farmington Avenue in West Hartford. Designed by Charles R. Greco, Temple Beth Israel was built in the Neo-Byzantine style and features a prominent Byzantine dome. The congregation received a West Hartford Historic Preservation Award in 2006 for the meticulous restoration of the synagogue.

  1. 1 Trackback(s)

  2. Apr 2, 2008: Historic Buildings of Connecticut » Blog Archive » Charter Oak Cultural Center (1876)

Post a Comment