Atwater Cottage (1760)

February 14th, 2018 Posted in Colonial, Commercial Buildings, Houses, Wallingford

Atwater Cottage is a gambrel-roofed house at 302 Christian Street on the campus of Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford. It was built in 1760 and was used by Caleb Atwater, a wealthy merchant, as a store. He produced gunpowder in a barn behind the house and in 1775 George Washington purchased gunpowder from the store for his army. The building is now a faculty residence.

Post a Comment