Dr. Lewis Barnes House (1800)

February 8th, 2018 Posted in Greek Revival, Houses, Oxford

In 1907-1908, Oxford Congregational Church acquired the house at 6 Academy Road, at the southeast corner of Oxford Road and Academy Road in Oxford, to serve as its parsonage. The front section of the house dates to c. 1800, but the rear section, which has a saltbox roof, is possibly much older. Before becoming a parsonage, the house was the residence of Dr. Lewis Barnes (1824-1907), who was a physician in Oxford from 1856 until his death.

A similar house, also built around 1800, is located nearby at 436 Oxford Road. Remodeled and enlarged over the years, it has an attractive round porch.

Post a Comment