Chrysler House (1825)

January 10th, 2018 Posted in Chaplin, Federal Style, Houses

Built circa 1825-1830, the house at 15 Chaplin Street in Chaplin is known as the Chrysler House for the family that owned it for much of he twentieth century. The least ornate of the three brick houses in the Chaplin Historic District (the others are the Whitter House and the Goodell House), all built around the same time), the Chrysler House has been much altered over the years. A front porch, which covered part of the original fan light over the door, was later removed, but the fan light remains filled in. The interior has been altered, with the original central stairs replaced by a large parlor. A notable resident of the house was Sidney V. Chrysler, a puppeteer whose puppet theater was housed in an ell of the house. The theater is now part of the collections of the Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry at UCONN.

Post a Comment