Rouse Davis House (1846)

December 18th, 2017 Posted in Greek Revival, Groton, Houses

The house at 64 (66 in the nomination form for the Noank Historic District) Pearl Street in Noank was built in 1846. It is known as the Rouse Davis House. According to the Genealogical and Biographical Record of New London County, Connecticut (published by J.H. Beers & Company of Chicago, 1905):

Rouse Davis grew up at Westerly, [RI] and in early manhood went as a young farmer on Fisher’s Island, where he met the lady that later became his wife; she was Desire Brown, daughter of Peter Brown, of Stonington. After their marriage they lived for a time in Groton engaged in farming, and then moved to Quaugutaug Hill in Stonington. Mr. Davis was an industrious, reliable man, and was engaged in various kinds of work at Mystic, New London, Sag Harbor and Noank. His death took place in the present home of [his son] Capt. [Henry E.] Davis, in 1861, at the age of sixty-three years. His widow survived to the age of eighty-six years, dying in 1881. They were good, Christian people, members of the Baptist Church at Noank.

Post a Comment