Page-Malone House (1905)

October 30th, 2017 Posted in Bristol, Folk Victorian, Houses

The house at 91 Bellevue Avenue in Bristol was erected c. 1905 for DeWitt Page (1869-1940), an Industrialist, philanthropist, and owner of Thoroughbred racehorses. Originally from Meriden, DeWitt Page worked his way up from the shipping department to become president of the New Departure Manufacturing Company. He married Mae Belle Rockwell, sister of Albert Rockwell, founder of New Departure. In 1933, DeWitt and Mae Page gifted Page Park to the City of Bristol. They only lived in the house at 91 Bellevue until about 1917, when their new mansion was completed at 181 Grove Street (the mansion was demolished in 1971). The Bellevue Avenue house was then owned by William J. Malone (1879-1961), a judge of the city court who also presided as Speaker of the state House of Representatives.

Post a Comment