Fishtown Chapel (1889)

October 29th, 2017 Posted in Churches, Gothic, Mystic, Stonington, Vernacular

The Fishtown Chapel at Mystic Seaport was originally erected by the community of Fishtown in Mystic to serve as a place for Sunday School and prayer meetings in 1889. It took only three weeks to build. For a time around 1900 the Chapel served as a schoolhouse for Groton’s Ninth School District. It then remained unused for many decades until it was moved to Mystic Seaport in 1949. Restored, it was rededicated as a chapel in 1950. As seen in old postcards of the Chapel, it once had a steeple which has since been removed.

Inside the Chapel, six of the twelve benches are original, while the remaining benches melodeon, oil lamp chandelier, brackets, and side lamps (all visible in the image below) came from other area churches.

Post a Comment