Gardella Block (1880)

November 2nd, 2017 Posted in Ansonia, Commercial Buildings, Italianate

The two adjoining business blocks at 46-52 and 42-44 Main Street in Ansonia are both referred to as the Gardella Block in the nomination for the Upper Main Street Historic District. They are part of a row of five buildings (along with the Sentinel Block at 36 Main Street, the Hotchkiss Block at 54-64 Main Street, and the building at 70 Main Street) that were erected c. 1880 (or as early as sometime before 1875) by the W. & L. Hotchkiss Company and distributed after the company dissolved in 1885. George Gardella, who came to Ansonia from Italy in 1882, opened a fruit, nut and confectionery business on Maple Street 1883. He moved his business to 46 Main Street in 1910 and retired in 1931, passing his business to his two sons. Another notable Gardella in Ansonia was Pasquale Gardella, an Italian immigrant who ran a peanut stand at the Maple Street bridge. After the stand burned down about 1896 he rented a store in the Ansonia Opera House on Main Street.

Post a Comment