Stanton-Davis Homestead (1670)

August 25th, 2017 Posted in Colonial, Houses, Stonington

Thomas Stanton (1616-1677), an original English settler of Hartford, was a trader who fought in the Pequot War and was appointed Indian Interpreter by the United Colonies of New England. Stanton also became one of the founders of Stonington, beginning construction of his house near Osbrook Point by the Pawcatuck River in 1670. The house was enlarged in 1700. Robert Stanton, Thomas’s great-grandson, put up the house and farm as collateral on a debt in 1764. The note was held by Thomas Fanning of Groton and Ezra L’Hommedieu of Long Island, who ended up taking possession of the property the following year. They rented the farm to John Davis of Long Island, who had married into the Stanton family. Davis bought the farm outright in 1772. The land, recently preserved by conservation easements, has remained in the Davis family and is recognized as the oldest continuously operating farm in Connecticut. The last resident of the house was farmer John “Whit” Davis, who passed away in 2016 at the age of 91. Determined to preserve the historic house, about fifteen years ago Davis had begun working to preserve it and its contents as the Stanton-Davis Homestead Museum. The house, located at the intersection of Osbrook Point Road and Greenhaven Road (address: 576A Greenhaven Road), is currently boarded up to protect it and a committee of volunteers is working to raise funds for its renovation.



Post a Comment