Second Ransford Button House (1841)

July 29th, 2017 Posted in Andover, Greek Revival, Houses

By 1841, Ransford Button, a merchant originally from New York State, owned two houses on Hebron Road in Andover, built in 1823 and 1841 respectively. In the 1850 census he listed himself as a merchant with $1000 in real estate. He also served as village postmaster. At the time, he was living with a wife, three children, and his mother-in-law in his second house, located at 27 Hebron Road, which he built in the Greek Revival style in 1841. He may have used the earlier house as his store. By the 1860 census he had become depot master.

Post a Comment