Burrows House (1825)

June 24th, 2017 Posted in Federal Style, Houses, Mystic, Stonington

The Burrows House at Mystic Seaport, built between 1805 and 1825, was originally erected on Water Street, on the Groton side of the Mystic River. In the 1860s and 1870s, it was the home of Seth and Jane Burrows. By that time the house had been raised above a new story in which Seth Winthrop Burrows sold groceries. The house was dismantled in 1953 to make way for a bank and then reassembled at Mystic Seaport.

The house has a garden in the back:

In 1874, Jane Burrows started a millinery business in the house, now represented by an exhibit in one of the rooms:

Post a Comment