Former Nichols Store (1874)

May 22nd, 2017 Posted in Commercial Buildings, Vernacular, Willington

Although it is now used as a diner, the building at 12 Tolland Turnpike in Willington, next to the old railroad depot, was built as a store. The first store in West Willington opened in 1837. The business was acquired by John Carpenter in 1874, when the current building was erected. In 1888, Charles Nichols bought it, moved the building to its current location and added a grain room. Hans Hansen acquired the business in 1902 and added a post office section in 1936. By the time of his death in 1939, Hansen’s Grain and Grocery Store was being run by his daughter, Ester (1913-2014), and her husband, Floyd W. Phelps. It was renovated in 1957 to become Phelps Market, which later moved to Phelps Crossing nearby.

Across the Tolland Turnpike is an interesting barn (11 Tolland Turnpike), built in the 1990s to replace an earlier barn on the site that had been demolished.

Post a Comment