North Stonington Congregational Church Parsonage (1853)

September 12th, 2016 Posted in Greek Revival, Houses, North Stonington

North Stonington Congregational Church Parsonage

The parsonage (minister’s residence) for the North Stonington Congregational Church, located at 91 Main Street, was built c. 1851-1853. Ministers regularly resided in the Parsonage until 1983, when the church, for the first time, permitted the then minister to purchase his own home (see “Parsonage; A Home of His Own Doesn’t Mean Abandoning His Flock,” The Day, October 17, 1983).

Nearby are some other nineteenth century houses. At 90 Main Street is a Victorian cottage built in 1841 for William Denison, a sawyer:

90 Main Street

At 100 Main Street is another mid-nineteenth-century house with an early twentieth century porch and a barn/carriage house:

100 Main Street

100 Main St. barn

Further away is 64 Main Street is the S. B. Wheeler House, a vernacular Greek Revival:

64 Main Street

The c. 1900 Queen Anne House at 66 Main Street has been much altered over the years (and even moved to a new location on the same lot):

66 Main Street

Post a Comment