Benjamin Smith House (1807)

June 16th, 2016 Posted in Federal Style, Haddam, Houses

Benjamin Smith House

Benjamin Smith, a descendant of early settlers of Haddam, erected the house at 432 Candlewood Hill Road in 1807, the year he married Lydia Burr, daughter of Captain Jonathan Burr. Their son Benjamin W. Smith inherited the house in 1833. He left Haddam in 1856 and sold the house to the Skinner family. The house once had a central chimney that was removed about 1904.

Post a Comment