Southport Eastbound Railroad Station (1884)

April 2nd, 2016 Posted in Fairfield, Gothic, Stations, Stick Style

Southport Eastbound Station

The community of Southport in the town of Fairfield has two historic railroad stations (one eastbound and one westbound) on the New Haven Line of the Metro-North Railroad (originally a line of the the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad). The older of the two is the eastbound station, built in 1884 to replace an earlier railroad depot destroyed in a fire. It is typical of the brick stations that were built in Connecticut in the 1880s, but with more than usual attention to its decorative roof that reflects the High Victorian Gothic and Eastlake styles. No longer used as a station, the building is now home to Paci Restaurant.

The Westbound Station, on the other hand, is one of the few remaining original station houses still in use on the New Haven Line. It was built in the 1890s during a period of major rebuilding along the railroad line. Gutted by a fire on January 4, 2008, the building was repaired and reopened the following year.

Southport Westbound Station

Post a Comment