Harvey Elmore House (1843)

March 21st, 2016 Posted in Greek Revival, Houses, South Windsor

Harvey Elmore House

The Greek Revival house at 87 Long Hill Road in South Windsor was built in 1843 by Harvey Elmore, who first demolished an earlier house on the site. The Elmore family settled the Long Hill area in the early eighteenth century and built many houses along Long Hill Road. Harvey Elmore (1799-1873) farmed the land and was a member of the general assembly of Connecticut in 1842 and 1844 and captain of an independent rifle company attached to the Twenty-fifth Connecticut Militia from 1836 to 1838. He married Clarissa Burnham in 1830 and the couple had two children. Their son, Samuel Edward Elmore, became president of the Connecticut River Banking Company. Their daughter, Mary Janette Elmore (1831-1922), never married and lived in the house until her death at the age of ninety-one. After her death her reminiscences, written when she was eighty, were found in the house’s attic. They were published by the South Windsor Historical Society in 1976 under the title Long Hill, South Windsor, Connecticut. The house was sold out of the family after her death.

Post a Comment