Phineas Smith House (1796)

August 11th, 2015 Posted in Colonial, Houses, Roxbury

Phineas Smith House

After serving in the Revolutionary War, Phineas Smith of Woodbury settled in Roxbury. He built the house at 3 Southbury Road around 1796, the year the new town was incorporated, and served as Roxbury’s first representative in the state legislature in 1797. According to Homes of Old Woodbury (1959), p. 224, the columns at the front of the house came from an old church in New Haven that had burned and were drawn to Roxbury by ox cart. Phineas Smith married Deborah Ann Judson. Their son Truman Smith (1791-1884) became a lawyer in Litchfield and their second son, Phineas Smith (1793-1839), became a lawyer in Vermont.

Post a Comment