The Wauregan Hotel, originally known as the Wauregan House, was built in downtown Norwich in 1855 and soon became known as one of the finest hotels in New England. When Abraham Lincoln came to give a campaign speech in Norwich in 1860, he stayed in a room at the Wauregan. The Hotel was expanded in 1894 with the absorption of the neighboring Clarendon building, by which the Wauregan added a dining room and a ballroom. By the 1940s, the building’s Italianate cast iron ornamentation had been removed. Abandoned for many years and in a deteriorating condition, the Wauregan Hotel was in danger of demolition, but a preservation effort was successful: the building was restored to its original level of architectural detail and the interior has been adapted for reuse as an apartment building.
Hotels, Italianate, Norwich
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.