George W. Mitchell House (1873)

April 2nd, 2015 Posted in Bristol, Houses, Queen Anne

George W. Mitchell House

The front of the 1873 George W. Mitchell House at 35 Bellevue Avenue in Bristol was greatly altered after it became a funeral home in the twentieth century. The house was built for the owner of J.R. Mitchell & Sons clothing store. The son of Julius R. Mitchell, George W. Mitchell married Eva L. Dunbar. The Funk Funeral Home was started as furniture and undertaking business in 1865 by Christian Funk, a German immigrant. In 1940 Emil Funk moved the business to the Mitchell House. The rectangular block in the front of the house was built in 1960 as a 100-seat chapel. The image below is of the north elevation (side) of the house:

George W. Mitchell House

There is also an adjacent carriage house:

carriage house

  1. One Response to “George W. Mitchell House (1873)”

  2. By Jeff Diver on Dec 15, 2015

    Several trade cards for J.R. Mitchell & Sons’ business appear in the Earl J. Arnold Advertising Card Collection – 1885. (arnoldpostcardcollection.blogspot.com) Earl J. Arnold, born in Bristol in the 1880s, one of four children of Robert Earle and Emma Jane Arnold, was Secretary of the Bristol Chamber of Commerce in the 1920s.

Post a Comment