Isaac C. Lewis Cottage (1882)

September 24th, 2014 Posted in Branford, Gothic, Houses, Second Empire, Stick Style

Isaac C. Lewis Cottage

The Isaac C. Lewis Cottage (although it’s much bigger than what people think of as a cottage!) is located at 255 Thimble Island Road in the Stony Creek section of Branford. It is an impressive eclectic Victorian house with an outstanding variety of detail that features elements of the Gothic Revival, Second Empire, Eastlake, and Stick styles. It was built as a seaside cottage for Isaac Chauncey Lewis (1812-1893), president of the Meriden Britannia Company and one of Connecticut’s leading industrialists. The cottage was designed by the architect Henry Martin Jones (1828-1908), who had also designed Lewis’s much larger house in Meriden. The cottage was shifted about a hundred feet east, from one side of its lot to the other, in 1917.

Isaac C. Lewis Cottage

  1. One Response to “Isaac C. Lewis Cottage (1882)”

  2. By Bob Smith on Feb 27, 2017

    Does anyone know if any of the architectural drawings for this house are still around?

Post a Comment