Phelps Hall, Yale University (1895)

August 14th, 2009 Posted in Collegiate, Gothic, New Haven

phelps-gate.jpg

Phelp’s Hall, designed to resemble a massive Tudor gatehouse, was built in 1895 as the grand entry to Yale’s Old Campus. Designed by Charles C. Haight, it was the last structure built along the row of Yale buildings facing New Haven Green, which was once occupied by the Old Brick Row. With the exception of Connecticut Hall, the earliest buildings of the Old Campus, including Brick Row, were replaced in the later nineteenth century, with the Gothic Revival style now dominating the campus.

  1. 4 Responses to “Phelps Hall, Yale University (1895)”

  2. By Paul Lin on Sep 11, 2013

    Who is Mr. Phelps?

  3. By Nancy Vicknair on Oct 22, 2013

    Yes who was PHELPS?

  4. By Jerry Phelps on Sep 6, 2017

    William Lyon Phelps was a author, graduated from Yale.

  5. By Linda (Phelps) Cart on Oct 9, 2017

    In William Lyon Phelps’ Will he left $50,000 to be given from money that was left to him by his father (John Jay Phelps) and instructed the executor to add up to an additional $50,000 to build a building that Yale deemed. It was to be known as The Phelps Fefectory, Dormitory, or Hall. William Lyon Phelps died in 1894.

Post a Comment