Charles Billings and Christopher Spencer were former employees at the Colt Armory who started their own drop-forging shop in Hartford’s Frog Hollow neighborhood in 1872. The Billings & Spencer Company became an important manufacturer of tools. The 1893 Billings & Spencer Company building, at the corner of Russ and Lawrence Streets in Hartford, features a distinctive Romanesque Revival office tower. The building was adapted in the 1980s for use as an apartment building, which is owned by the Melville Charitable Trust.
Hartford, Industrial, Romanesque Revival