Austin O. Gallup House (1840)

February 20th, 2014 Posted in Greek Revival, Houses, Salem

Salem Herbfarm

In 1851, Judge Austin O. Gallup (1828-1896) purchased the Greek Revival house and farm at 320 Hartford Road in Salem, where he lived until his death. In the 1860s, Gallup made two additions to the house, which had been built around 1840, by joining structures from other properties. He also added a carriage house in 1866 and a barn in 1867. Fred Washburn purchased the farm from Julia Raymond Douglas in 1915 and in 1919 passed it to Alice Mitchell and her husband Edward, who ran a small dairy farm. Alice served as Judge of Probate and Edward as First Selectman. The farm later passed to their daughter, Margaret Mitchell, who deeded it to her niece, Anne Duncan. Anne and her husband, Joe Duncan opened the Salem Herbfarm in 1997.

Post a Comment