Farrington Building (1925)

January 27th, 2014 Posted in Colonial Revival, Commercial Buildings, Waterbury

Farrington Building

The Farrington Building, located at 131-141 West Main Street in Waterbury, was constructed in c. 1925-1930 as an addition to the Westerly Apartments, a c. 1890 Queen Anne building. The Farrington Building is a two-story Georgian Revival retail and office structure. In 1935, the First Federal Savings & Loan Association, now known as Webster Bank, opened on the building‘s second floor. Its only employees were the company’s founder, Harold Webster Smith and a clerk. Smith started his new business during the Great Depression under the federal government’s National Housing Act, passed in 1934 to stimulate the economy and make housing construction and home mortgages more affordable. Webster Bank now has thousands of employees and numerous branches.

  1. One Response to “Farrington Building (1925)”

  2. By Donald Gerardi on Nov 2, 2016

    Did this building also house the Mercy Boyd bookstore?

Post a Comment