Eolia (1906)

January 13th, 2014 Posted in Houses, Neoclassical, Renaissance Revival, Waterford

Eolia

Harkness Memorial State Park, located on Long Island Sound in Waterford, was once the estate of Edward Harkness (1874-1940) and his wife Mary Harkness. Harkness, one of the richest men in America, inherited great wealth from his father, Stephen V. Harkness, who had been a silent partner of John D. Rockefeller in the Standard Oil Corporation. Used by Harkness as a summer estate, it was called Eolia, named for the island home of Aeolus, Greek God of the winds. The mansion, designed by Lord & Hewlett of New York, was built in 1906 for Jessie and William Taylor, Mary Harkness’s sister and brother-in-law, who sold it the following year. Edward and Mary Harkness then hired their favorite architect James Gamble Rogers to do interior renovations and add a pergola to the property. The estate’s gardens were designed by landscape architect Beatrix Farrand. Mary Harkness left the estate to the State of Connecticut in 1950. The mansion and grounds were restored in the 1990s by lead architect Roger Clarke, with contributions by architect Peter Clarke and consultant on historic gardens Rob Camp Fuoco. Today Eolia is a popular location for weddings (pdf about weddings).

south elevation
Rear of the mansion, which has two loggias.

rear of the mansion

Pergola
The Pergola.

Carriage House
The Carriage House contained a vehicle-turning device, four-stall stable, dog-grooming room, squash court and servants’ rooms.

The Greenhouse
The estate has a historic Lord & Burnham Greenhouse.

Post a Comment