New London Public Library (1892)

June 2nd, 2009 Posted in Libraries, New London, Romanesque Revival

new-london-library.jpg

The New London whaling merchant, Henry Philemon Haven, who died in 1876, left a bequest to be used for charitable purposes. His trustees used the funds to build a library, completed in 1892 and designed by the firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge (H.H. Richardson‘s successor firm). The architects sent George Warren Cole, who eventually established his own firm in the city, to New London to supervise three simultaneous projects: the Library, Williams Memorial Institute and Nathan Hale School. The Richardsonian Romanesque Public Library of New London building features a design similar to the libraries designed by Richardson and contrasts a Milford granite construction with brownstone trim.

  1. One Response to “New London Public Library (1892)”

  2. By parviz on Nov 22, 2009

    picture of new london library

Post a Comment