Salem Town House (1749)

December 3rd, 2013 Posted in Churches, Gothic, Greek Revival, Public Buildings, Salem

Salem Town House

Another notable building along Salem Green is the Town House. This structure was originally built in Norwich in 1749 on Washington Street as an Episcopal church, which later took the name of Christ Church. A new Christ Church was dedicated on Main Street in 1791. The current Christ Episcopal Church was built back on Washington Street in 1849. By that time, the original church on the site had been moved away. In 1829, this old building had been sold to the Episcopal Society in Salem. It was moved to Salem Green circa 1831 and reconstructed. It was at this time that the building’s lancet windows and columned portico were added, resulting in an unusual mix of Gothic and Greek Revival styles. By 1840 the church had closed and the building was acquired by the Town of Salem for general meetings. Since 1969, it has been the home of the Salem Historical Society.

  1. One Response to “Salem Town House (1749)”

  2. By Sharon yaksta on Jul 8, 2014

    Is there anything on Carl Chamberlain we are related to roy tew

Post a Comment