New London Harbor Lighthouse (1801)

April 26th, 2009 Posted in Federal Style, Lighthouses, New London

new-london-harbor-lighthouse.jpg

The New London Harbor Lighthouse, located on the west side of the harbor entrance, was built in 1801 and is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Connecticut. With its octagonal, brick-lined brownstone tower (with cast-iron lantern) rising to 89 feet, it is also the state’s tallest lighthouse. The present New London Harbor Light replaced an earlier stone tower with a wood lantern, built in 1761. The current Keeper’s house was built in 1863 and was enlarged in 1900. In 1904, the sound of a new fog siren annoyed local residents and in 1906 it was replaced with a trumpet. The fog signal was moved to the New London Ledge Light in 1911. Today, the detached Keeper’s house is privately owned, while the tower is maintained by the New London Maritime Society. New London Harbor Light is still an active aid to navigation.

Post a Comment