New London Ledge Lighthouse (1909)

March 18th, 2009 Posted in Lighthouses, New London, Second Empire

new-london-ledge-lighthouse.jpg

The New London Ledge Lighthouse was built in 1909, on the Southwest Ledge at the mouth of the Thames River in New London Harbor. It was built after much lobbying to construct a new lighthouse, as the New London Harbor Light was deemed insufficient to direct ships around the dangerous ledges at the entrance to the harbor. The red brick New London Ledge Light is to have been built in the French Second Empire style at to the request of wealthy homeowners on the nearby shore, who wanted the new lighthouse to match the elegance of their own residences. The Coast Guard took over manning the lighthouse in 1939 and it was automated in 1987. New London Ledge Light is also famous as a haunted lighthouse (There are YouTube Videos here and here).

Post a Comment