H.D. Smith and Company Office (1882)

June 19th, 2013 Posted in Industrial, Italianate, Southington

H. D. Smith & Co.

H.D. Smith & Company, manufacturer of drop forged tools in Southington, began in the 1850′s as a supplier to New Haven area carriage makers. Originally based in Meriden, H.D. Smith soon constructed a factory on West Street in the Southington village of Plantsville. It was one of several factories there that were powered by the Eight Mile River. The company was famous for its “Perfect Handletools. Production later shifted to bicycle parts and then to tool kits for automobiles. The original wooden factory buildings were destroyed by fire in 1910 and replaced in 1911 with a new structure of steel and brick, designed by Charles H. Palmer of Meriden. Adjacent to the factory, at 24 West Street, is the company’s former office building, constructed in 1882.

Share Button

Post a Comment