Osborne Homestead Museum (1840)

January 1st, 2009 Posted in Colonial Revival, Derby, Federal Style, Houses

osborne-homestead.jpg

The Osborne Homestead Museum is adjacent to the Kellogg Environmental Center and the Osbornedale State Park in Derby. It was originally a farm house built in the mid-nineteenth century. In 1867, Wilbur Fisk Osborne married Ellen Lucy Davis and the couple moved into the house. Osborne’s father, John White Osborne, had founded a brass manufacturing company in Derby which came to dominate the eyelet manufacturing business. Wilbur F. Osborne served as president of various companies and also founded the Derby Neck Library, persuading Andrew Carnegie to assist in funding the library building’s construction. The Osbornes‘ only surviving child was Frances Eliza Osborne, who became a businesswoman, taking over her father’s responsibilities after his sudden death in 1907. In 1919, she married Waldo Stewart Kellogg, a New York architect. Starting in 1910, a Colonial Revival remodeling project began on the house, with additional detailing work done by Waldo Kellogg. The homestead now resembles a Federal-style house. Frances Osborne Kellogg continued to live in the house until her death in 1956. She had deeded her property to the State of Connecticut in 1951 and it became the Osbornedale State Park. The land was once home to the Osbornedale Dairy, which was run by Waldo Kellogg, who improved the herd after the acquisition of a prize bull. The house is open to the public as the Osborne Homestead Museum.

  1. One Response to “Osborne Homestead Museum (1840)”

  2. By Maureen Moran on Jan 1, 2009

    The State of Connecticut’s highway department wanted to take Fanny Osborn’s property by eminent domain to build Route 8. She made an end-run around what would have been a disaster for her and made a gift of her farm and house to the State to create Osbornedale State Park after her death. Thus the highway was rerouted a little to the east.

Post a Comment