On Whiting Street along the east bank of the Still River in Winsted are the buildings of the former Winsted Hosiery mill. The company, which produced hosiery and underwear for men, was organized in 1882 and become the largest hosiery manufacturer in Connecticut by 1936. In the 1960s, the company switched to woolen manufacturing and moved Asheville, North Carolina in 1965. Building #2, pictured above, was built around 1905. A four-story brick structure, it stretches thirty bays along the Still River and has a six-bay extension added in 1911. The building was later converted into apartments.
Industrial, Italianate, Winchester
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.