First Congregational Church in Bloomfield (1858)

November 27th, 2008 Posted in Bloomfield, Churches, Greek Revival

first-congregational-church-bloomfield.jpg

For Thanksgiving, we focus on the First Congregational Church in Bloomfield. Originally established as the parish of Wintonbury, the first meetinghouse was erected in 1737 and the first official gathering was in 1738. A second meetinghouse was built in 1801 and served for 56 years before being moved aside for the current church building, built in 1858. Wintonbury had by then became the Town of Bloomfield in 1835. The church’s steeple blew down in 1862 and was replaced with a sturdier one that includes a clock.

Post a Comment