Lewtan Building (1860)

April 30th, 2012 Posted in Commercial Buildings, Gothic, Hartford, Romanesque Revival

Today is the Fifth Anniversary of Historic Buildings of Connecticut!

At 28 High Street in Hartford is the Gothic and Romanesque Revival Batterson Block, now called the Lewtan Building. It was closely linked to a much larger Batterson Building, now lost, that stood next door and was later the Garde Hotel. It was built around 1860 by James G. Batterson, who ran a quarrying business called the New England Granite Company. Batterson, who is buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery in Hartford, founded Travelers Insurance Company in 1863.

Share Button

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.