Denison Homestead (1717)

September 11th, 2008 Posted in Colonial, Houses, Mystic, Stonington

denison-homestead.jpg

The Denison Homestead is the third successive house to be built on the land granted to Captain George Denison in 1654 in the Town of Stonington‘s half of Mystic (which is a census-designated place). Its immediate predecessor burned in a fire in 1717, the night before George Denison‘s grandson, known as “George the Builder,” was married. This grandson then built the current house just west of the original home, using charred timbers from the old house. The house, which became known as Pequotsepos Manor, continued to be the home of generations of the Denison family. In 1930, Ann Borodell Denison Gates created the Denison Society and after her death, in 1941, the house became the Denison Homestead Museum. Located on Pequotsepos Road in Mystic, the museum presents a different period of time the history of the Denison family in each of its rooms.


This is Historic Buildings of Connecticut’s 500th Post
(not including the April Fools Day post)

  1. One Response to “Denison Homestead (1717)”

  2. By Bill H on Sep 11, 2008

    Congratulations and thanks for all the hard work.

Post a Comment