The Buckley-Coffing House (1847)

August 15th, 2007 Posted in Greek Revival, Houses, West Hartford

buckley-coffinghouse.JPG

Built sometime between 1847 and 1855 on South Main Street in West Hartford. Like the similarly Greek Revival-style Stephen Willard House in Wethersfield, it features a gable-end facing the street and a side entrance. The round-headed window in the gable is an Italianate, rather than a Greek Revival feature. Substantial additions on the rear of the house project on either side, the one on the north elevation creating a tri-gable L-shape. The house was probably built by George Buckley, who sold his farm to Charles Coffing in 1863.

Post a Comment